Sunday, February 24, 2013

NOT ON ICE





Was in the super market the other day picking up some fresh tilapia for dinner.

It's a good source of protein popular with athletes especially in body building and weight-making sports. When you work with elite athletes, particularly weight-making ones, there's usually a time frame involved and lots of money at stake if they fall short.

The butcher was wrapping a few well-selected pieces for me and my girlfriend when I noticed his name tag said Coach. Since I frequent the place fairly often I knew by his accent he was from somewhere back east, like Massachusetts.

He told me he coached hockey for some local kids and tossed in a few well chosen words about discipline and training, a game he played and loved as a kid. But he saved his best for last. It was brief and to the point. "Times may be changing," he said, without the slightest hint of nonchalance in his voice, handing me the package, "but not on the ice."

Not on the ice and not in the gym. And most especially not in the markets. Without discipline you're just without.


No comments: